Dec 1, 2010

broken toe and i sat on a pencil

Rough day today. Sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, you know? I hate when this happens, because I usually try very hard to be in the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time (i.e. class, work, church, FHE).

The fates were against me today.

I had changed for gym and was on my way to basketball class. The women's locker room is all the way on the far north side of the RB. I enter on the far south end. So I walk all the way down, change in 1 minute and walk all the way back to our class. Its annoying. I'm just about to open the door to the gym and flying out comes a 60 year old professor, sweaty and mad. All the courts are open from 12-1 for faculty playing, and they use EVERY SINGLE COURT. Also annoying.

The man came out with such a force that the door slammed into my foot, ripped through my shoe, continued on to hit my head and then the wall behind it. I fell over from the impact and by the time I was up, the man had fled. Hit and run complete.

Everyone is so nice at BYU. I mean that sincerely. Immediately there were 3 or 4 people around me asking if I was alright and picking up my stuff. Some of the faculty from inside the gym also came out to see what the loud noise (door hitting me, me squealing, me falling).

I was shocked. My eyes starting watering for a number of reasons 1) My toe hurt 2) I was totally embarrassed 3) People were being nice to me 4) I'm tired 5) Birth control. Are those lame enough excuses? Then I noticed my foot hurt and looked down to see the ripped shoe. These are the wedding shoes mind you. Expensive and special. You may argue I shouldn't be wearing them, but if I am going to pay THAT much for a pair of shoes, you better darn well believe they will be warn and warn out!



I walked over to the bench and took a seat. I sat down directly onto a sharp no. 2 pencil that must have been sharpened only seconds earlier. It was sticking out of one of my classmate's backpack (Who uses No. 2 pencils any more? Get a mechanical one! Also, who stores a pencil right there?) That puncture hurt, but I realized I am somewhat materialistic because I was immediately afraid I had ripped through my favorite gym shorts. I'm ok with ripping through skin, but not my BYU UnderArmor shorts. No rip, at least on the outer layer. I ripped a hole right through my underwear.

So the toe nail is filled with blood, there's kink in my toe and its kind of purple. I've heard both sides, its definitely broken vs. its not broken because you can walk on it.

Final statement: My feelings are broken!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

That sucks. Sorry about your toe and more sorry about a lamo jerk professor.

Jessica said...

Rebecca, that just sucks! I'm sorry that you had a really sucky experience today. Also that that man was totally rude and didn't even care about your well being! Also, I love that one of the reasons you were crying was birth control. I usually blame my period, but either way it's the same thing in the end. And those shoes are beautiful! Maybe a cobbler could fix them for you, because a shoe like that should not be retired.

Katie said...

i can't believe that guy. man, what a rough day! i am so sorry. i LOVE your orange wedding shoes!! so sad!

Macey said...

poor randi. worst day...in the world. espeically ruining your frees. i hope that toe isn't broken, and gets better quickly!

but mostly, i'm proud to hear you're in a basketball class. nice.

DC Diva said...

:( Sad day.

becky bunnell said...

Ha ha ha ha! Okay I should probably be like everyone else and say sorry too. But that wasn't the first thing that came to my head.

For some rude reason it was the image of you getting smacked with a door, squealing, then falling. Classic and priceless.

Also the part when you talk about the guy literally hit and ran then in the next sentence say how nice people are at BYU.

ha ha, I love it.

becky bunnell said...

and...i'm sorry. (even if it is as a side note) I love you!!!! and hope you are not in too much pain.

Bullock said...

as if your feet weren't bad enough. ha.

I'd be so mad about the shoe, how bad is it, like you can't wear it anymore?

 
^ Scroll to Top